In Memory of





Life Story for Phyllis Mae Prindle (Ernst)

Phyllis Prindle passed away peacefully in her sleep January 9, after a short decline in her health.
Phyllis was born in January of 1925, to Edith and Lloyd Ernst in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She had
older twin brothers. When Phyllis was 3, her father died in an automobile accident. Several
years later her mother married Elwood Naugle, and in 1934, the family moved to Billings.
When Phyllis was 10 her brother, Ted, was born. She was thrilled! She loved and took care of
Phyllis attended school in a rural school house near Ann Arbor until she was in the fourth grade.
After moving to Billings, she attended McKinley Elementary School where she met her best
friend, Nancy, in the sixth grade. They remained close friends ever since. Phyllis attended
Jefferson Middle School and Billings Senior High School, graduating in 1942.
During World War II Phyllis met her future husband, AI Prindle. She sent letters to her brother,
Ed, and all the members of his troop stationed in New Guinea. AI always told her brother that
he was going to marry Phyllis when he returned to the states after the war. Unfortunately,
when he got back, Phyllis was already engaged to another man, so AI started dating another
woman. AI couldn't forget about Phyllis, and one day wentto talk to her to tell her how he felt.
He must have been pretty persuasive, because they got married June 6, in her parents' living
room. They were married over 42 wonderful years until AI died in 1987.
After she graduated from high school, Phyllis worked at S. M. West Insurance and Real Estate
Company until her first son was born. After her fourth son was born, Phyllis began working at
her father's printing company. One day a customer told her she would make a good sales
person. She decided to get her real estate license, and was a realtor until 2000 when she
retired. She took several trips with her friend, Nancy, and visited Hawaii, New Zealand, and
Australia. On another trip, Phyllis and Nancy toured Europe. The highlight was when she
visited the Black Forest region of Germany where her mother's family had lived.
Phyllis LOVED golf! She traveled allover Montana and Wyoming to play. When back problems
eventually prevented her from playing, she would watch golf tournaments during the weekends
on television. She was very creative and enjoyed sewing, embroidery, cross-stitch, needle point
and quilting. She also enjoyed playing bingo.
Phyllis was a long term cancer survivor. She discovered she had breast cancer when she was
20. She had a mastectomy and remained cancer free until her death a few-days short of her
94th birthday.
She is survived by her sons and their families; Pat (Chris) of La Jolla, California; Gary of Billings;
Mike (Maureen) of Ankeny Iowa; and Scott of Billings. She was loved by everyone who knew
her. She wanted to thank the helpful and compassionate people at Compassus Hospice, and
the incredibly amazing care givers at The Springs at Grand Park.

A funeral service will be held Friday afternoon at 1:00 PM in St Luke's Episcopal Church, 119
North 33rd Street in downtown Billings. Also this summer there will be a memorial service held
at Rosebud Cemetery in Absarokee. Condolences may be shared online at